I never really thought of making pumpkin pasta until about a month ago. I wanted to celebrate the beginning of fall as soon as possible. A hearty and earthy recipe is a great way to pay homage. But I was hesitant because I didn’t want the pumpkin flavor to be overpowering. If you’ve ever opened a can of pumpkin puree you know exactly what I mean. Your kitchen will literally reek like baby food – and I don’t even have little ones. I had also never enjoyed anything pumpkin flavored that wasn’t sweet. But after finding a similar recipe online and trying it out I took this classic easy fettuccine Alfredo recipe and worked on it just a little bit. Thus this Alfredo pumpkin sauce recipe was born!
The great thing about pumpkin – that was pointed out by one of my colleagues – is that it doesn’t taste like much. At least not on it’s own. It has really soft notes in terms of flavor. It only hints at fall as the nutmeg does.
This past weekend I was able to travel to the International Balloon Fiesta and it was a blast! I’ll post more about that soon, but while we were there we ate at the Slice Parlor. It was DELICIOUS! Among other things on the table they had oregano and I loved the taste which was very warm. I thought it would be the perfect herb to pair with others in this Alfredo pumpkin sauce recipe. The woody taste of sage seemed a natural one to add as well!
I like to season my pasta that I serve this Alfredo pumpkin sauce recipe over with olive oil and salt. Traditionally I know a lot of people choose to use roasted chicken but I personally prefer Italian sausage. For this recipe about 1 lb is great! So without further ado, here’s my Alfredo pumpkin sauce recipe!
Alfredo Pumpkin Sauce Recipe
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 6 oz Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Ground Pepper
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter in a sauce pan over low to medium heat.
- Chunk up 8 ounces of cream cheese and introduce into melted butter. Use a whisk until the mixture becomes smooth.
- A little at a time whisk in two cups of milk slowly taking care so that no lumps occur.
- Add 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, 1/8 teaspoon sage, 1/8 teaspoon of oregano and 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg. Stir in until mixed appropriately.
- Increase heat to high-medium and whisk in Parmesan cheese gradually until combined completely. Because of the weight it will probably gather at the bottom so be sure to whisk constantly. Once it starts to melt into the butter milk mixture reduce the heat and continue whisking.
- Only after the Parmesan cheese is completely whisked in can you incorporate the pumpkin. Measure 1 cup of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) and whisk it in until the mixture is smooth.
- Serve over Alfredo noodles that have been appropriately doused in olive oil and salted. Pairs nicely with Italian sausage crumbled over the top.
Are you going to try this Alfredo pumpkin sauce recipe?
Thanks for reading!