As we delve into the holiday season deeper and deeper Christmas seems to be right around the corner! Which to many families means it’s turkey and dressing time. But as much as I love dressing, if you don’t throw in some fresh cranberry sauce you’re missing out! Most Americans probably don’t consume fresh cranberries on a regular basis. But that’s part of what makes them so alluring during November and December. They are a delicious mixture of tart and sweet. Their brilliant magenta color will always remind me of holidays past. Sure, you can buy a can and call it done. But this homemade cranberry sauce recipe will knock your socks off. It’s actually pretty easy!
I think as fabulous as cranberries are, what makes this recipe different is that they’re not the only fruit used! Oranges give it slight notes of citrus. Also, who doesn’t love oranges around this time of year?
While fruit is great, part of the sweetness of this staple is going to be the jello used to add sweetness and as a base.
In addition to all the ingredients above, what is a fresh cranberry sauce recipe without any crunch? We love to use pecans to this effect.
The best part about this recipe is that essentially other than making jello, you just blend all your ingredients together. It’s pretty low maintenance.
Best Fresh Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Begin with two cups of sugar and half a cup of water. Place these in a pot and boil them until they turn into thread-like spindles (you can test this out with a fork.)
While this is happening you can begin to make your jello! If you’ve ever made jello before this part should be pretty easy for you. You’ll need to get one cup of water to boil (separate from the sugar water mixture), you can do this on the stove-top or microwave.
Once it is boiling then dissolve two packets of Jello into your cup of water. Cherry works best, strawberry will do! You’ll need to stir this frequently until all of the sugar granules are gone!
Then you’ll combine the hot jello mixture with your cranberries in a ninja or blender.
Chop and peel your oranges, and chop or break pecans.
Next add your sugar water mixture, pecans, orange and crushed pineapple to the mixture. Blend it until it’s the desired consistency.
Then you’ll pour it into a bowl or mold and chill it until it is served.
We made ours the night before, but it says it only takes jello about four hours, so you could make it the morning of your holiday function!
Have you ever made a fresh cranberry sauce recipe you loved?
Thanks for reading!
Best Fresh Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups water
- 1-2 fresh chopped oranges
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 bag cranberries
- 2 packets of jello, preferably cherry (strawberry will work too)
- 1 large can of crushed pineapple with juice
- Boil 2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup water until sugar becomes thread-like in nature and ultimately a syrup.
- Then boil 1 cup of water and dissolve 2 packets of jello inside, until sugar granules disappear.
- Put jello mixture and whole cranberries into blender or ninja and blend.
- Chop and peel oranges, chop pecans. Add all remaining ingredients (crushed pineapple with juice, oranges, pecans, and sugar syrup) to jello cranberry mixture.
- Blend until desired consistency is reached.
- Place in bowl or mold for a minimum of four hours in the fridge or until served.