My favorite time of the year spreads from late September through to Christmas day. It starts with Fair Season. My experience with Fair is probably different than most others because I was blessed enough to show dairy heifers in high school. Rather than focusing on the rides I primarily would be taking care of our cattle. The smell of sawdust mingled with fair food always takes me back, particularly – the smell of sweet bread and cinnamon. You’ve guessed it – Churros. Also, I love funnel cake and will usually get that at the bare minimum to kick off the week. In an effort to give women what they ACTUALLY want for valentine’s day instead of the standard chocolates and flowers (because even though those are nice, these are way better) I wanted to show you how to make these Valentines Day Mini Churro Bites!
These Valentines Day Mini Churros are actually incredibly surprisingly easy and literally only take about a half an hour to make. I definitely want to make larger size churros later in the year to keep around the house! Because who doesn’t love fried sweet bread layered with cinnamon and sugar?
You’ll need to begin by making the dough. I was pleased that this dough turned out really sweet! You’ll need to combine the water, vegetable oil, sugar and salt together until it boils.
Then, remove it from heat and add the flour. You’ll need to let this cool for about fifteen minutes before loading it into the icing bag.
Next you’ll need to heat up the corn oil so you can fry these Valentines Day Mini Churros. When you place some flour in the pan and it fizzles this is how you know that it is ready for frying.
While the dough is cooling you’ll need to thread the star tip onto the bag and take the corner of it off so the dough will be able to get through. Then spoon the dough in and squeeze it down to the tip.
Now you’ll push the dough through the tip until its about two inches in length and pinch off the end with your fingers. Place these in the oil. Use a spoon with small holes in it to turn the Valentines Day Mini Churros as needed and remove when they begin to turn golden in color.
While they are cooking, prepare the glaze. You’ll need to mix confectioners sugar, water and food coloring until you have the appropriate color.
Place them all on a paper towel to eliminate some of the oil. Then dip them in the glaze. Next, sprinkle them with the cinnamon and sugar mix.
Dredge them again with glaze and decorate with some festive sprinkles. Make sure to do it quickly so that everything adheres well.
You can always add some confectioners sugar as well.
I love that I can enjoy the memories of autumn with my loved ones while it’s still cold outside with these Valentines Day Mini Churros!
What is your favorite fair food?
Valentines Day Mini Churro Bites
- 1/4 Cup of White Sugar
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- Corn Oil
- 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- Wilton 32 Star Tip
- 2 Tablespoons of Water
- 1 Cup of Confectioners Sugar
- Red Food Coloring
- Combine 1/4 Cup of Sugar, 2 Cups of Water, 3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil and 1 teaspoon of Salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Then remove from heat and add 2 cups of Flour.
- Prepare the icing bag and use this the Wilton 32 Star tip.
- While the dough is cooling, heat the corn oil in a pan until you can drop flour in and it will fizzle. You should also make the glaze by mixing 2 Tablespoons of Water, 1 Cup of Confectioners Sugar and Red Food Coloring together in a bowl. Start with 1 drop of Red Food Coloring and then increase this until you have the color you want to use.
- Place the cool dough into an icing bag with the tip and make sure to clip the end of piping bag. Push the dough down into the cone and make the churros about 2 inches long. Pinch off the dough with your fingers and place it in the hot oil.
- Cook the mini churros until they begin to turn gold and use a spoon with holes to turn them and eventually pull them out when they are done. Place these on a paper towel to take away extra oil.
- Dip them into the glaze and sprinkle them with the cinnamon sugar mixture (Mix together 1 Cup of Sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a bowl.) Then dredge them in the glaze again and top with fun sprinkles! You can always add some confectioners sugar too.
- Enjoy with your honey!
Thanks for reading!